Did you know that in 2015, according to Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry, 155 million Americans play video games. 44% are female with an average age of 43 years.
The virtual world of Second Life is a user-created immersion community with millions of members. It’s free to join and full of potential readers.
Stuart Applebaum, Head of Corporate Communications at Penguin Randam House said: “We don’t know if getting the word out about the book will sell it, but we know they won’t buy it if they’ve never heard of it.”
I agree, getting your books in front of people is crucial in a market inundated with novels, which is why I started The Book Nook stores in Second Life, an untapped venue for authors.
Why use Second Life to promote your books?
- Visibility—Unlike a magazine ad, your book cover is always on display, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in a high traffic area. Unlike a real world book store, books are never shelved side-by-side, book covers always face out.
- Reach—Second Life first started in 2003 and has residents from all over the world. With this global audience, in this age of electronic books, sales are one click away. Second Life is popular enough to be the answer to be a question on Jeopardy!
- In World Promotion—The London City sim where two branches of The Book Nook are located runs a circulating promotional ad for The Book Nook on their group chat. There are 46,102 members in this group. The London City sim has daily traffic on average of 70,963.
- Low Competition—The number of books are restricted, so your books are seen. There are very few book stores in Second Life. I’ve not seen anything like The Book Nook.
- Play Time—Creative people use Second Life. Most are in world for leisure, so book reading is in keeping with the overall feel of this world.
- Affordability—Just $10 for 6 months or $20 for 13 months puts your book in Book Nook stores.
1. The Book Nook has three stores on different sims.
Art Gallery Route 7
7. For $15, you’ll have at least 50 tweets posted with your buy link to promote your book over 13 months.
If you’d like to have your books in The Book Nook, please send an email to email@example.com.